Nowadays, special attention is paid to organic natural fibers in textile industry. Flax fiber is one of the most widely used natural fibers. It is a long lasting, durable and natural material. Flax is grown in many parts of the world, but top quality flax is primarily grown in European countries. Flax fiber properties:
- Polymerisation degree of flax fiber is 2-3 times higher than that of cotton, which makes flax fiber much stronger than cotton;
- Hygroscopicity – perfectly absorbs moisture and at the same time dries quickly;
- Reaction to cold and warm weather – it cools in summer, warms up in winter;
- It does not cause allergic reactions;
- The color of linen fiber is yellowish to gray, with a silky shine;
- It is a completely consumed product without any waste which means no harmful effect on nature and ecology.
Long flax fiber is the main product of flax fiber and is obtained by removing most of the shoots. This is the raw material for yarn production.
Short flax fiber is another product derived from flax fiber. Suitable to turn into yarn, nonwovens, paper and thermal insulation materials.
Cotonised flax fiber is a flax fiber split into isolated hairs and is therefore similar to cotton. Suitable for yarn and paper production.